Humane ways of understanding the legitimate realities of the lives we live
Would you like to contribute to an alternative understanding of ‘psychosis’?
HUMANE spaces is preparing to provide an alternative to the challenging and often unfounded perceptions of what is called psychosis in our society: Voices, visions and other realities: Psychosis 365. The intention is to share ideas, views and thoughts on compassionate and humane experiences of acceptance and meaning of common human realities, often referred to as psychosis.
Voices, visions and other realities: Psychosis 365 is not a treatment plan, education plan or other formal concept that anyone should follow. Rather, the project is following the lead of many other projects around the world that share information about the experiences of people in the communities in which we live. We are not stating that other approaches are necessarily wrong, but we hope to provide balance and humanity in understanding the experience of people all around us without using labels that often marginalise, disempower and ’other’ individuals and their supporters. We do not know what content will evolve, but we are excited to find out.
Provide views of people with a lived experience, professionals, family or supporters, policy makers and the general public in building a resource bank that offers different ideas of what we mean when we say psychosis. Additional, provide understanding of the many ways people understand and make sense of their reality. We are also excited to show alternative ways that people embrace, manage, live with (or without) their voices, visions and other realities.
Would you like to contribute?
If you would like to contribute, we would be very grateful. We are asking that you record a video clip, of up to 1 minute long, of you talking about the subject of voices, visions and other realities and then uploading it to be part of the project to be released in 2018.
Guidance on the content:
- Just talk freely on the video about the subject of Voices, visions and other realities: Psychosis 365
- We are not looking for biological models of psychosis (i.e. traditional views) – we have plenty of people talking about that ☺
- Say your name and what country /place you are from if you would like to do so.
- Tell us what voices, visions and other realities meant to you as an alternative to the label of psychosis. The video series is intended to give the world a better understanding of the human experience of voices, visions and other realities as human experiences, not as disorders, but as legitimate and meaningful ways of being in the world.
- Tell us about living well with voices, visions or other realities – The video series is intended to give the world a better understanding of how people understand, embrace, manage, live with (or without) their voice, visions and other realities.
- Enjoy making a very short video that will bring some humanity and compassion to the world.
By recording and uploading a video you are consenting to the use of the video on the Visions and other realities: Psychosis 365 You tube page, and the likely shared use on social media networks. If you do not consent, please do not send the video.
The project team will decide which videos to use and which videos are not used, and will not be able to give feedback to each person that provides a video.
- Record a video on your phone or other device, introducing yourself by name (or alternative name if you prefer) and where you come from.
- Save the video file with your name and psychosis 365 in the file name (e.g. mattballpsychosis365.mp4)
- Send us an email to [email protected] with a link to your video in your cloud / drop box / OneDrive folder where you have saved the file, so we can download your video Alternatively, if you do not have a cloud/ Dropbox or OneDrive etc you can email us, and we can share a link for you to upload the video. Another option is to email us, and we can arrange a time to record your video via skype contact.
- Please also include in your email, the file name of the video that you have uploaded (e.g.: mattballpsychosis365.mp4)
- Get ready to watch for the release of the 365 videos later in 2018 – one video each day. Check www.facebook.com/humaneclinic for updates.
Thank you so much for considering being part of this idea. Please do get in touch and join this exciting project.
Matt Ball and Stephanie Mitchell – Co Directors, HUMANE Clinic